A Maryland grandmother is facing several charges after a 1-year-old baby overdosed on methadone while in her care.
CBS Baltimore reports that the infant is in critical condition after swallowing methadone pills on February 9, while in his grandmother’s care at her Lusby home. When the baby’s mother picked him up, she noticed he was unresponsive and quickly rushed him to Calvert Memorial Hospital. He was transferred to Georgetown University Medical Center, where a physician determined the 1-year-old overdosed on a methadone, a strong narcotic medication prescribed for pain.
A report by ScienceNordic indicates that methadone is so strong that it can cause numerous disabilities in children whose mothers take the drug while pregnant.
On Saturday, police arrested the grandmother and charged her with child abuse, assault, and distribution of a controlled dangerous substance. It’s still unclear what the suspect’s name is or whether she’s still in jail.
The baby is in critical condition but expected to survive. The story is still developing.