Ad
SimpliSafe Mobile
Ad
Simplisafe Desktop
Rainbow Slime

‘Rainbow Slime’ caused serious burns on 10-year-old’s hands

-Parents, do not ignore warnings!
-A young girl was referred to a plastic surgeon after playing with GAK slime

A concerned mom is warning other parents about “rainbow slime,” also referred to as GAK, after her 10-year-old daughter suffered serious burns to her hands after playing with it.

Deejay Jemmett loved to play with rainbow slime. It’s one of the biggest crazes at St Luke’s Primary School in Salford, UK, where she and other children play with the slime. Part of its appeal lies within how simple it is to make. Common ingredients used to make slime include glitter, glue, borax, and food coloring. Apparently, borax, a household and commercial cleaner, is the culprit behind Deejay’s third-degree burns.

Deejay’s mother, Rebekha D’Stephano, her daughter followed a guide she found on YouTube and made  her own batch of rainbow slime. Rebekha said that Deejay followed the directions carefully, and didn’t use any additional borax or any other ingredient. According to Rebekha, her daughter’s hands were blistered and burned within 48 hours of use.

“She is an avid YouTuber and came to me to ask if she could make some slime. Within 48 hours her skin had started to peel off. From there it got worse. We took her into the doctor and he said she had chemical burns. We have been referred to Wythenshawe Hospital’s burns unit to see a plastic surgeon. It is unbelievable. She is struggling to write and struggling to hold a knife and fork. She’s in pain and it’s very itchy.”

RELATED: Warning Parents: “Slime” created in science or art at school poses health risks to children

Rebekha wants to raise awareness and help others before their children are injured as well. Numerous parents online, however, have resisted the warnings, stating that if used in moderation and not swallowed, children are safe. Yet, those statements are not scientifically backed-up. It’s impossible to know which child will have a bad reaction and which child will be safe.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), borax, also known as boric acid or sodium borate, can cause eye irritation, skin irritation, vomiting (if swallowed), and serious hormonal issues. The EPA does not recommend using borax in any craft projects. If you have questions or concerns, contact your child’s physician. If you suspect a child ingested borax, contact the American Association of Poison Control at 800-222-1222.

[Feature Photo: Twitter]