Ad
Ad

Santa Monica firefighters deliver doggie CPR at scene, save pet

Firefighters responding to a call at a Los Angeles-area, apartment Tuesday were able to save a “lifeless” dog with CPR.

ABC7 reported that firefighters received a call about a burning single-story apartment in the 1800 block of 7th Street in Santa Monica at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The firefighters were able to contain the fire to just the kitchen and storage areas of the apartment when they arrived.

The dog’s owner, Crystal Lamirande, reportedly came home to find her apartment and her belongings being burned by the active fire. She attempted to enter the building to find her dog, but the thick smoke sent her back out.

But firefighter Andrew Klein had the equipment to get inside, and he reportedly stumbled upon the 10-year-old Bichon Frize/Shih Tzu mix while searching the apartment for any people trapped inside. The dog had no pulse and was not breathing.

“… as soon as I grabbed him I knew that he was unresponsive just by his dead weight,” he told ABC. He also spoke of the heroic rescue in an interview with the Associated Press.

He was totally lifeless…I picked him up and ran out of the apartment because time is key, especially with a small dog … Failure was not an option.

Klein reportedly spent 20 minutes performing CPR on the unresponsive pup, and was eventually able to save the dog’s life. Nalu, the dog, was given a pet oxygen mask to make sure he was breathing okay.

No one else was injured from the fire. Authorities said the blaze was able to be put out in 10 minutes.

Lamirande brought Nalu to the fire station to visit with her rescuers. Klein told ABC7 that the crew had had a difficult few weeks, so having Nalu visit was a much needed boost. 

“Our goal is to save people, and sometimes we’re not able to do that despite our best efforts,” Klein said. “But to have a success story just like this, even with Nalu being a dog, I mean again he’s a life and he’s a life that matters. That was just a great morale booster for all of the guys here in our department.”

 

Photo: Courtesy of dog owner