Ad
SimpliSafe Mobile
Ad
Simplisafe Desktop
Grace McDermott

American student dies abroad in faulty cellphone charger fire

An American teacher and Ph.D. student living in Ireland passed away in Limerick on Monday after her home caught on fire. Authorities are trying to determine if a faulty cellphone cord caused it.

New York Post reports that Grace McDermott, 26, from East Islip, New York, was living with friends in a three-story home in Limerick. She was abroad working as a PhD researcher at Dublin City University.

At around 3:20 a.m. on Monday, the Limerick City Fire and Rescue Service responded to a fire at McDermott’s home. When they arrived, authorities found McDermott unconscious on the 2nd floor of the home. She was rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Authorities are currently investigating the incident. They don’t think foul play was involved, but haven’t yet said if the fire was indeed started by the faulty cellphone cord.

McDermott was well-liked and popular. Her untimely death crushed friends and family, who took to social media to express their grievances.

“Brightest star, your passion for life & movement & change & justice was awe inspiring. So proud to have known you.”

McDermott obtained a Master in International Tourism degree. She was studying for a doctorate in communications and co-founded the Women Are Boring website. Shortly before she died, Mcdermott participated in the Barrington’s Hospital Great Limerick Run with 12,000 other participants.

No one else died in the house fire.

[Feature Photo: Twitter]