The Suffolk County District Attorney gave a press conference Monday on the grisly murders of two respected doctors in their South Boston penthouse, during which he contradicted earlier media reports that had cited unidentified police sources in addition to statements from the city’s police commissioner.
As Crime Online previously reported, Boston Police Commissioner William Evans told the Boston Globe that the murder victims, Dr. Lina Bolanos and Dr. Richard Field, were believed to have been acquainted with the victim, thought the nature of the relationship was not specified.
Suffolk County D.A. Attorney Daniel Conley reportedly said at the press conference there was no reason to believe the suspect and victims knew each other.
“There is no evidence at this stage of the investigation that there is any relationship between them,” Conley said.
Conley also contradicted an earlier statement that the suspect, Bampumim Teixeira, had fired at officers when they apprehended him on the 11th floor of the luxury high rise in South Boston. Officers fired at Teixeira, subduing him but not critically injuring him, before taking him into custody.
Conley said in the news conference that officers may have mistakenly believed the suspect had fired at them or was aiming at them, as he was reportedly carrying a “replica gun,” according to CBS News.
“We are simply informing the public to correct the record,” Conley said.
On Tuesday, the Associated Press reported that Teixeira had worked for a brief time as a security guard at the building where the murders took place, sometime prior to 2016. He had recently finished a prison sentence for bank robbery before allegedly slashing the doctors’ throats.
Conley reportedly did not address earlier reports that the suspect had left a “message of retribution” on the penthouse wall.
Photo: North Shore Pain Management/Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary