Ad
SimpliSafe Mobile
Ad
Simplisafe Desktop
Man dies from botulism

ANOTHER person develops botulism from nacho cheese at gas station, this time it’s fatal

A Sacramento man has died after getting botulism poisoning from eating nacho cheese sauce from the Valley Oak Food & Fuel gas station in Walnut Grove, reports the Sacramento Bee. 

Martin Galindo-Larios Jr., a 37-year-old married father of two from Antioch, died Thursday night at a hospital in San Francisco. According to a GoFundMe site in his name he had been hospitalized since early May. He suffered from respiratory complications following the poisoning and was on a ventilator.

The East Bay Times reported Galindo had fallen into a coma and was declared clinically brain dead and died at 9:15 p.m. on Thursday.  His is the first confirmed death in the case of food poisoning that has affected at least nine others in the Sacramento area.

Related Reading: Warning: Mom of 3 paralyzed with botulism after eating gas station cheese dip

Patients with severe botulism may need to be on a ventilator for weeks as well as undergo intensive medical and nursing care for several months. Botulism is fatal in about 5 percent of cases, according to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).

A statement released by the CPDH on Monday confirmed the nacho cheese sauce sold at the gas station has tested positive for the toxin that causes botulism. The CDPH confirms the cheese was removed from sale on May 5 and there is no ongoing risk to the public.

“While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety,” State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith said.

While the toxin that causes botulism can be found in foods that are not properly stored or processed It is odorless and colorless, so it is not possible to tell if a product is contaminated just by looking at it.

The CDPH recommends following these steps to prevent many types of foodborne illness:

  • Cook – Make sure foods are cooked to the right temperature.
  • Clean – Wash hands and surfaces often.
  • Chill – Refrigerate foods properly.
  • Separate – Separate raw meats from other foods.

 

[Feature Photo: GoFundMe]