heroin on nightstand

DA: Two drug counselors overdose on heroin while working at an addiction facility

The Chester County, Pennsylvania, District Attorney (DA) says that two drug counselors at a southeastern Pennsylvania addiction facility overdosed and died after taking drugs while at work on Monday.

CNN reports that first responders were called to the Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge in West Brandywine Township on Monday afternoon, after two live-in drug counselors reportedly overdosed on heroin. The facility is a private group home for people struggling with various types of drug addictions. The six patients who lived at the facility found the counselors in two different rooms. Both had small baggies of heroin and needles beside them, according to DA Tom Hogan.

The names of the counselors have not been released. The residents tried to revive one of the counselors with naloxone, but when that didn’t work, they called for medical assistance.

“If anybody is wondering how bad the opioid epidemic has become, this case is a frightening example,” Hogan said. “The staff members in charge of supervising recovering addicts succumbed to their own addiction and died of opioid overdoses. Opioids are a monster that is slowly consuming our population.”

Hogan also indicated that the baggies found next to the counselors were labeled as”Superman” and “Danger/Skull & Crossbones.” An initial autopsy confirmed that both counselors tested positive for heroin and fentanyl.

The Washington Post reports that it’s not uncommon for people who were once addicted to drugs to become counselors to recovering addicts.

Authorities had warned residents to steer clear of baggies stamped with those particular logos and that the contents inside contained fentanyl, and “are likely to kill anyone who uses them.”

[Feature Photo: Chester County District Attorney’s Office]