Michelle Carter Conrad Roy

VIDEO: Michelle Carter’s teen boyfriend recorded something heartbreaking just one month before she reportedly encouraged him to kill himself

Michelle Carter, 20, has been on trial for encouraging her boyfriend of three years to kill himself, in 2014, when he was just 18-years-old and she was 17. Now, a heartbreaking video has been placed into evidence of that boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, filmed just one month before he committed suicide.

The video is self-recorded and Roy speaks directly to the camera.

It sees the teenager discussing his life, his battle with depression and his desire to lead a fruitful and happy life.

“I have a lot going for me,” Roy said in the video, which was recorded on June 12 of 2014. “I just have to get the cobwebs out.”

The video was split into two parts and released by MassLive.com, after it was entered into evidence.

Roy was frank about his battle with depression, and did not couch his language, even referring to himself as “no-good trash.”

“[I] will never be successful, never have a life, never have kids, never learn. But I have lot to offer someone,” he said. “You just have to accept yourself as an individual. The hardest thing for me is to be comfortable in my own skin.”

“The sooner I like myself, the better I’m going to be.”

Michelle Carter pushed and bullied her 18-year-old boyfriend, with thousands of text messages, until he finally went through with the act of suicide, ending his own life on July 13 of 2014.

Conrad Roy III poisoned himself with carbon monoxide, while sitting inside of his truck. He wavered at one point, exiting the truck, but Carter told the 18-year-old to “get back in,” according to The Washington Post.

The crux of the case against Carter rests on one question: Can her text messages be considered manslaughter, or are they just an act of free speech?

Bristol Assistant District Attorney Maryclare Flynn acknowledged Roy’s struggle with mental health, during her opening statements, as reported by Buzzfeed.

“There’s no doubt Roy had issues and in October 2012 attempted to take his own life,” she said, referencing a failed suicide attempt by the teenager.

“This time was very different. He had someone berating him, beating him down, telling him he had a no good life, he had no future.”

The text messages sent from Michelle Carter to Conrad Roy III during their 3-year relationship, urging him to take his own life, certainly paint a damning picture.

“Don’t be scared,” she told him, according to transcripts provided by MassLive.com“You’ll finally be happy in heaven.”

“Everyone will be sad for a while but they will get over it and move on.”

Not all of her texts were subtly manipulative. Some were downright angry and berating.

“SEE THAT’S WHAT I MEAN. YOU KEEP PUSHING IT OFF! You just said you were gonna do it tonight and now you’re saying eventually,” she wrote.

The trial took a turn last week, when text messages sent from Michelle Carter to her friend, Samantha Boardman, were entered into evidence.

(Faith Ninivaggi/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool)


In these text messages, she seems to admit guilt.

“It’s my fault,” she told her friend. “I could have stopped him but I told him to get back in the car.”

She also texted another friend and wrote that she was actually on the phone with Roy as he died, going as far as to say she “should have gotten him more help.”

The case is being tried without a jury, and a judge will deliver the final verdict in the weeks to come.

[Featured Image: Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via AP, Pool/YouTube/screenshot]