Madison Coe

Parents Warning! Tx teen-girl electrocuted dead after dropping charging cellphone in tub

A teen in New Mexico died on Sunday morning after dropping her cellphone into a bathtub while trying to charge it, police confirm.

KCPD reports that Madison Coe, 14, of Lubbock, Texas, was visiting her father in Lovington, New Mexico, when she either plugged her cellphone in while taking a bath or reached for her phone while in the bath. Madison’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, explained that Madison’s hand had a burn mark on it after she grabbed the phone. O’Guinn is hoping that others will learn from her granddaughter’s mistake and take precautions while using cellphones.

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened…This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cellphone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging. We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix.”

Madison was an 8th grader at Terra Vista Middle School. She’s been described as positive, sweet, and “wise beyond her years.”

O’Guinn is hoping that not only will children learn from the tragedy, but that adults will also take notice and use caution as well.

“It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody.”

Meanwhile, a family member set up a GoFundMe fundraiser to help pay for Madison’s funeral expenses. Her funeral is scheduled for July 15 in Lubbock, Texas.

[Feature Photo: Family Handout]