Families suspect all-inclusive Mexican resorts of putting drugs in alcohol

A rising number of deaths at Mexican all-inclusive resorts have families convinced that bartenders are serving tainted or drugged alcohol, reports the Journal Sentinel.

In January, 20-year-old Abbey Conner took a vacation with her mother, brother, and stepfather to the Mexican resort Iberostar Hotel & Resorts’ Paraiso del Mar. Just hours after arriving, Abbey was pulled unconscious from the pool. She was brain dead. A few days later Abbey was flown to Florida where she was taken off life support.

Her older brother, Austin, nearly suffered the same fate. He was found unconscious in the pool as well with an injury to his forehead. He had a severe concussion and no memory of what happened that day. He said the last thing he remembers is him and his sister taking four or five shots of tequila together at the resort’s swim-up bar, followed by another shot with a larger group. He woke up in an ambulance with his sister on life support.

Abbey had a broken collar bone, though it was unclear what caused it. Experts suggest the bone might have broken during CPR, but that doesn’t usually happen.

Her mother and stepfather, Ginny and John McGowan, of Pewaukee, along with her father, Bill Conner, still don’t have a clear picture of what happened, and aren’t receiving much help from authorities in Mexico or in the U.S.

Mexican police advised against filing a report against the resort as it is forbidding its employees and other guests from speaking about the incident to authorities.

The U.S. State Department said there’s not much it can do to help the case.

The State Department generally promotes these types of all-inclusive resorts as being safe, and review sites such as TripAdvisor and Expedia have been known to delete any reviews that complain of anything more than maid service.

In the last decade, almost 300 U.S. citizens have drowned in Mexico, 39 of those were just last year.

As the year goes on, more and more families are reporting their own horror stories about their experiences at the Mexican resorts.

Their message to potential vacationers: Be alert and watch what you’re drinking.

[Feature Photo: Facebook]