Breana Harmon mugshot

Police charge teen with a felony after she cuts herself, tears her clothes, lies about being raped by three men

A Texas teenager was charged with a felony after she lied about being abducted and raped by three men, reports Herald Democrat.

Breana Rachelle Harmon, 19, was indicted on four charges on Wednesday in Denison, three of those being felonies. She was arrested in March after she admitted to police that she lied about being kidnapped and assaulted.

Grayson County District Attorney Joe Brown explained that Harmon was originally charged with a misdemeanor, but the charges were bumped up after considering the gravity of her accusations.

“Ms. Harmon was originally arrested for the misdemeanor offense of false report to a peace officer. However, the more we have looked at what happened in this case, and considered the harm it caused, and certainly could have caused, we believe what she did fits these higher charges. What she did was very serious, and we believe it was felony conduct.”

Harmon was charged with two third-degree felony counts of tampering with physical evidence and a third-degree felony count of tampering with a government record. Her fourth charge is a state-jail felony count of tampering with a government record.

She was charged with tampering with physical evidence after knowingly giving false information “with the intent to affect the outcome of the investigation” during two different interviews. The state-jail felony charge alleges that Harmon “had the intent to defraud the Denison Police Department and with that intent, caused a false entry to be made in the official police report by making her false statement to investigators.”

“In this case, count four of the indictment against Ms. Harmon alleges that her false statement to a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner caused the nurse examiner to make a false entry in a government record — the SANE report.”

The charges stem from the March 8 incident that began when a missing persons report was filed for Harmon around 5 p.m. that day. The door on her vehicle was left open and her personal belongings – her phone, keys, and a shoe – were found on the ground next to the vehicle.

At around 8 p.m. that evening, a report was filed that said a woman matching Harmon’s description walked into a church wearing only a shirt, bra, and underwear. She later told police that three black men in ski masks kidnapped her. She claimed two of the men raped her while the third held her down.

Harmon said she received cuts from a knife while trying to flee her captors, but investigators reported that the injuries did not match those she would have gotten during a struggle like that.

On March 9, investigators searched the area where Harmon said she was attacked. They found a pair of jeans, along with a sock and knife that belonged to Harmon. The jeans had a long vertical cut and spots of blood.

Police found two cigarette butts and a cigarette pack at the scene. They also found dried blood on the foundation of the house, as well as on a piece of broken glass found at the scene.

The nurse examining Harmon concluded that there was no physical evidence of sexual assault, and in her professional opinion, none took place.

On March 21, Harmon confessed to police that she fabricated the entire story. She claimed she had a fight with her fiancé so she decided to take a walk in the woods.

When Harmon got to the dilapidated house, “things from her past started going through her head” so she began to cut herself and her jeans. She was worried that her mother would be upset with her for cutting herself, so she made the story up about being abducted. Harmon said when she walked into the church and was asked if she was raped, she nodded her head without thinking about it.

No one was arrested due to the false report.

[Feature Photo: Denison Police Department]