‘Dad’ punches baby boy so hard he dies; took infant to balcony so Mom wouldn’t hear the cries

A Maryland man pleaded guilty to killing his 2-month-old boy by repeatedly punching the infant until he stopped crying.

On Wednesday, the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s office announced that Antoine Petty, 33, pleaded guilty to first-degree child abuse resulting in the death of his baby boy on September 21, reports the Washington Post.

Petty admitted to taking the baby to the balcony of the family’s apartment and punching him in the torso to quiet him when his wife was unable to calm the crying infant. In the arrest affidavit, Petty said he then brought the infant back inside, snatched the still-crying boy by the arms off the floor and continued punching him. The infant became unresponsive after blood began flowing from the his nose and mouth. He later died from the trauma.

The parents took the child out to their 1998 Lincoln town car hearse and left his body there for 24 hours before taking him to a wooded area behind a high school. The couple buried the baby in a shallow grave.

Relatives reported the baby missing, and about a month later his body was found. The parents eventually led police to the grave after being questioned by authorities.

Petty will be sentenced in October, and he faces up to 40 years in prison. Geneice Petty, his wife, will go on trial for involuntary manslaughter and accessory after the fact to first-degree murder charges.

Prince George's County Police Department

Gina Ford, a spokeswoman for the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office, told the Washington Post that prosecutors will seek the maximum sentence for Petty.

“His actions were so incredibly heinous that he deserves every day of that prison sentence. This was a defenseless 2-month-old child … Rather than consoling his son he takes his son and beats him.”

Doug Irminger, the public defender representing Petty, said that the father was sorry for killing his infant son.

“Antoine Petty is deeply remorseful for his actions in this case.”

[Feature Photo: Prince George’s County Police Department]