Parents charged in toddler’s death after he suffocates under weighted mattress

A Pennsylvania couple is charged in the death of their 2-year-old son after they allegedly tied a mattress to his crib, causing him to suffocate.

Justin Dwyer, 29, and Courtney Stash, 28, are being held on multiple charges, including manslaughter, for the April death of their toddler Eoin.

Authorities say the couple used a mattress to keep Eoin from crawling out of his crib. The couple told police they placed two 50-pound bags of rock salt on top of the mattress told hold it down, and for good measure, they tied it to the crib with a bungee cord, according to PennLive.

According to police, the 2-year-old still attempted to climb out of his crib. He managed to get his head above the rail, but became trapped by the weight of the mattress and suffocated, Fox News reported.

The parents found their child unresponsive and immediately called 911.

Stash and Dwyer now face felony counts of involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy related to involuntary manslaughter, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of conspiracy related to aggravated assault, unlawful restraint, conspiracy related to unlawful restraint, endangering the welfare of a child, and conspiracy related to the endangering of a child.

The couple was also charged with misdemeanor counts for simple assault, conspiracy related to simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, and conspiracy related to recklessly endangering another person.

Eoin was one of three triplets born on Christmas Day in 2014. He had two sisters, who are identical twins The babies were two months premature, but were otherwise born healthy. Both girls had almost no health problems, while Eoin had some fluid in his lungs. He needed a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine for his first day to help him breathe, but the mask was taken off the next day.

According to an earlier report by PennLive, Stash worked as a certified nurse assistant at a Good Samaritan Hospital throughout her pregnancy until two days before she went into the hospital for labor pains.

Charges for the couple were filed on Tuesday, and they are expected to surrender to police on Wednesday. No court dates have been set.

[Feature photo: Facebook]