Jasmine Beever

Teen with ‘Rapunzel Syndrome’ dies after eating her own hair

A 16-year-old student from England passed away suddenly while chewing on her hair, after suffering from a rare disorder known as “Rapunzel Syndrome.”

New York Post reports that Jasmine Beever (pictured left), of Skegness, England, died on September 7 from peritonitis, an infectious and life-threatening disease marked by inflammation of the the tissue that supports and lines the abdomen and its inner wall. The disease typically occurs from a bacterial or fungal infection.

In Jasmine’s case, medical experts said they found a clump of hair in her stomach that became infected. Eventually, it caused an ulcer. The ulcer began to burst, causing the teen’s organs to shut down.

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health (NIH) , people who swallow their own may suffer from a psychiatric disorder called Rapunzel Syndrome.

The girl’s death came as a shock to her loved ones. She’s been described as bubbly and amazing. Donna Marshall, the mother of a friend of the teen, said Jasmine had the ability to make an entire room smile.

“Jasmine was amazing. She was one of those kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile. She was so bubbly.”

Marshall’s daughter, one of Jasmine’s best friends, set up a JustGiving fundraiser to help the victim’s family out with medical and funeral expenses after the girl’s surprising death.

“Anyone that knew Jasmine knew what a Wonderful, Caring girl she was. She had a real zest for Life [sic].” the fundraiser reads. “There was never a gloomy face around Jaz because she would go out of her way to make you smile. Even people she didn`t [sic] know. She would always offer a helping hand for anyone that was struggling or offer her shoulder and a hug to anyone that was having a bad day.”

According to the NIH, less than 40 cases of Rapunzel’s Syndrome have been reported in children.

[Feature Photo: JustGiving/Handout]