A court hearing is being held in Las Vegas Friday to determine how Stephen Paddock’s estate will be distributed in the wake of the deadly mass shooting that killed 58 people and injured hundreds more.
According to KSNV, Paddock left behind a $5 million estate but no will when he died, presumably of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, in his Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino hotel room on October 1, the night of the massacre. The absence of a will meant that his 89-year-old mother would be assigned administrator by default, but she reportedly has said she does not want to be the administrator.
Attorney Craig Eiland, who is representing the families of 75 victims in various lawsuits, petitioned a judge to appoint an independent executor. He reportedly did this in response another attorney representing a victim’s family filing a request to control Paddock’s estate.
“It’s concerning for us that one person wants feet in both defending Paddock, and representing a deceased person,” says Eiland.
From the hearing, KSNV reporter Craig Fiegener tweeted that a woman had offered to be the estate executor.
A woman from Henderson presented herself in court, saying she’d handle Paddock’s $5 million estate. Donnalyn VanOrman-Wasano’s business card lists her as a “private fiduciary.” She says she just wants to help the victims.
— Craig Fiegener (@CraigNews3LV) November 17, 2017
He also said that Paddock’s brother, Eric Paddock, who reportedly lives in Florida, was unexpectedly in the courtroom.
It is likely that Eric Paddock will not inherit anything from his brother’s estate. His estate has been named in multiple lawsuits from victims and victim’s families, and there will be a hearing next month to exclude Paddock’s family members from benefiting from the estate.
In an interview last month, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said there were indication that Paddock may have had a change in fortune before the shootings, as the self-described professional gambler was on a video poker losing streak. Lombardo has not made any further public comments since that time, but controversial “independent journalist” Laura Loomer posted a tweet on Thursday claiming that Lombardo said at an event the night before that he would not be seeking re-election as a result of the difficult mass shooting investigation.
BREAKING: Source tells me that #LasVegas Sheriff @Sheriff_lvmpd announced at a private event last night that he’s decided to NOT run for re election because of the grilling he received over the #LasVegasShooting @LVMPD
— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) November 17, 2017
[Feature image: U.S. Government/Stephen Paddock]