Two small children and their parents were found dead in a cabin in Arizona this week, and authorities believe they may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning on the very first night of their stay.
AZCentral reports that Anthony Capitano, 32; his wife Megan, 32, and their children, Lincoln, 4; and Kingsli, 3; were found dead in a cabin outside Flagstaff on New Year’s Day. The family had reportedly arrived to the cabin on Friday, and a friend called police on Monday after they were unable to reach the Capitanos by phone for a few days.
The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office told the news outlet that they believe that family likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning. A deputy reportedly smelled gas as he approached the cabin at around 1:45 p.m. on Monday.
On Tuesday, Coconino County Sheriff spokesperson Jon Paxton told AZCentral that the family likely died days before they were found, possibly on Friday night, when they first arrived to the cabin. He said all four family members were found in their beds.
Authorities are reportedly still trying to reach the owner of the cabin, who is believed to have been a friend of the Capitanos. Paxton told the news outlet that the owner is believed to be out of the country.
While authorities continue to believe the family died of carbon monoxide poisoning, they have not yet confirmed the cause of death, pending the results of an ongoing investigation.
Paxton told AZCentral that investigators are confident the deaths were accidental.
This is a developing story. CrimeOnline will provide an update when more information becomes available.
[Feature image: Facebook/The Capitano Family]