Jeanette LeBlanc

Woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from oysters

A Texas woman reportedly died from a flesh-eating bacterial infection after eating raw oysters from a market off the coast of Louisiana.

According to KLFY, Jeanette LeBlanc contracted the bacteria in September while visiting family in Louisana. LeBlanc reportedly ate about two dozen raw oysters that she picked up in Westwego.

“About 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, had a rash on her legs and everything,” Vicki Bergquist, a family friend who went on the vacation with LeBlanc, told the station.

Karen Bowers recalled how she believed it was an allergic reaction at first and how she later suffered “severe” wounds on her legs due to the bacteria.

LeBlanc gradually worsened over the course of two days, which led doctors to determine that she was infected with Vibrio.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said that people in the United States typically become infected with Vibrio vulnificus, and its related species, by eating raw or undercooked shellfish–especially oysters.

“Vibrio naturally live in certain coastal waters and are present in higher concentrations between May and October when water temperatures are warmer,” the agency cautioned.

LeBlanc reportedly fought the aggressive bacteria for an agonizing 21 days but died from the infection on October 15th, 2017, according to KLFY.

Now, Bergquist and Bowers say they are committed to educating the public about the dangerous and devastating bacteria.

“If they really knew what could happen to them and they could literally die within 48, 36 hours of eating raw oysters, is it really worth it?” Bowers commented.

“If we had known that the risk was so high, I think she would’ve stopped eating oysters.”

***WARNING: The video depicts images that are disturbing in nature. Please use discretion. ***

[Featured Image: Jeanette LeBlanc/KLFY video screenshot]