Sam Gean

Boy uses gasoline to spark bonfire, dies just days after explosion leaves him covered in burns

An Alabama teen reportedly burned to death after trying to start a bonfire with five gallons of gasoline last week.

According to WBRC, Sam Gean, 14, died after suffering significant burns on January 14 while attempting to ignite a fire with another teen in front of a home in Jefferson County. Authorities said that the teens tried to light some sort of piece of paper on fire, but, when it didn’t burn fast enough, Gean dumped a five-gallon container of gasoline on the small blaze.

Police said the small fire exploded and Gean was engulfed in flames. Hospitalized in critical condition since the January¬†14 incident, Gean’s sister announced on Facebook that the Alabama teen was taken off of life support on January¬†18, according to the station.

An online fundraiser to cover Gean’s medical bills revealed that he suffered burns on more than 95 percent of his body.

“Foul play is not suspected in this death. Our hearts and prayers are with the family,” Jefferson County Chief Deputy Randy Christian said.

 

[Featured Image: Sam Gean/GoFundMe]