Famed Hollywood director Quentin Tarantino defended Roman Polanski in a newly unearthed interview with Howard Stern, dating back to 2003, as reported by Slate.
Tarantino and Stern were discussing Polanski’s fall from grace, which began with him fleeing the country after he allegedly sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in 1977.
Howard asked Tarantino why Hollywood continues to defend Polanski, despite the horrific allegations against him.
“How come Hollywood embraces this madman, this director who raped a 13-year-old?” Stern asked.
Tarantino responded that he didn’t see the alleged assault as an egregious crime, starting with the notion that it was, technically, statutory rape.
“I don’t consider him a rapist,” he said. “He didn’t rape a 13-year-old, it was statutory rape, all right?”
The director of Pulp Fiction expounded on the reasons he believes statutory rape is a less serious crime.
“That’s statutory rape, you know, he had sex with a, with a minor, all right? That’s not rape. To me, when you use the word rape, you’re talking about violent, throwing them down, it’s like one of the most violent crimes in the world,” he said.
“You can’t throw, you know, throwing the word rape around is like throwing the word racist around, all right? You know, it just doesn’t apply to everything that people use it for, all right? You know, he was, he’s guilty of having sex with a minor.”
That’s when the interview took an uglier turn.
Quentin Tarantino’s shocking interview where he said 13-year-old raped by Roman Polanski ‘wanted to have it.’ https://t.co/VGApbeJH4E
— Stefan Molyneux (@StefanMolyneux) February 6, 2018
Tarantino accused the 13-year-old, Samantha Geimer, of consenting to the episode and referred to her as a “party girl.”
“Look. She was down with it,” he said. “She wanted to have it.”
Since the alleged rape of Geimer, Polanski has been accused of sexually assaulting and harassing other victims, including involvement in the photo shoot-turned-molestation of a 10-year-old back in 1975, as previously reported by CrimeOnline.
Audio of the interview was pulled from YouTube on Tuesday due to a copyright claim by Sirius XM, according to Variety.
[Featured Image: Twitter/screenshot]