Anthony Orr

Sex offender beats little boy & locks him in closet 10 days after being released from prison, police say

A convicted sex offender is accused of beating a 5-year-old boy in his Dunkirk, Indiana, home 10 days after being released from custody.

The Star Press reported that Anthony Orr, 25, was charged Friday in connection with a February 22 incident involving the child. The Department of Child Services got involved after the victim’s mother told authorities that Orr sent her a message saying he “accidentally smacked [the child] a little hard on his face and left a handprint.”

The next day, the mother said she saw her son’s facial bruise, which appeared dark, purple, and had a yellow discoloration to it. The child also had a laceration on his lip that was apparently caused by Orr smacking him in the mouth, the Blackford County Sheriff’s Department wrote in an affidavit.

The victim and his older sibling allegedly claimed they were at Orr’s home when he punched the younger child in the stomach and threw him to the ground. Police said the victim also recalled being locked in the closet, where he was left in the dark because he couldn’t reach a light, the newspaper reported.

A police report stated that Orr tried to blame the boy’s injuries on the child’s mother.

Reports obtained by The Star Press revealed that Orr’s criminal history dates back to 2013—when he was sentenced to four years in prison for fondling a 13-year-old girl. He ultimately pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct with a minor to avoid five other charges, including possession of child pornography.

Orr was living in Portland, Oregon, in July 2016 when he was sentenced to 10 years in prison for repeatedly sexually abusing a girl from August 2010 and May 2011. The girl was less than seven at the time and Orr was her babysitter.

However, in 2017, the Indiana Court of Appeal overturned Orr’s conviction, finding that “the jury received inadequate instruction regarding the unanimity required to convict him of child molesting.”

Orr eventually pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of sexual battery. In February, a judge sentenced him to the maximum of 30 months. However, he was immediately released because he had already served his time.

The Indiana man is currently charged with battery resulting in bodily injury to a person under the age of 14, criminal confinement, and failure to register as a sex or violent offender.

Orr is also accused of using the mother’s car without informing officials—something he’s required to do as a sex offender. The woman reportedly told police that Orr took her car and wouldn’t give it back unless she got back into a relationship with him.

Officials stressed that the latest round of allegations is not sexual in nature.

Orr is being held on $2,000 bond. An initial hearing is scheduled for April 9.

 

[Featured Image: Anthony Orr/Indiana Sex and Violent Offender Registry]