UPDATE: Reuters has reported that Conor McGregor was released from jail Friday afternoon after posting $50,000 bond. According to CNN, he’s also been ordered to stay away from the five people involved in Thursday’s scuffle.
Police confirmed on Friday that Conor McGregor was arrested hours after videos surfaced allegedly showing the UFC fighter throwing several items at an occupied bus following Thursday’s media event at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
An NYPD spokesperson told USA Today that McGregor, 29, has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief in connection with Thursday’s incident. NYPD Detective Adam Navarro said that McGregor’s still in police custody and is scheduled to appear in court sometime Friday.
TMZ reported that police arrested the MMA fighter Thursday night and that he was spotted exiting a Brooklyn police station in handcuffs early Friday.
— WBZ | CBS Boston News (@wbz) April 6, 2018
As CrimeOnline previously reported, several videos appeared to show McGregor crashing the event held ahead of Saturday’s UFC 223. The videos appear to show McGregor hurling large items at a bus that was boarded by rival fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov moments earlier.
McGregor is believed to have crashed the media day because the winner of Saturday’s match between Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway would take McGregor’s lightweight belt. McGregor hasn’t defended the belt since November 2016.
Reports indicated that fighter Michael Chiesa suffered face lacerations when an item was thrown through a bus window. Chiesa was also expected to appear on Saturday’s card but was deemed unfit to fight due to his injuries.
In light of the ordeal, McGregor ally Artem Lobov was also pulled from the card for his involvement in the altercation.
The fate of Saturday’s event remains unclear. The Washington Post reported that Holloway was recently deemed medically unfit to fight against Nurmagomedov. Additionally, flyweight Ray Borg, who was expected to go against Brandon Moreno, was also determined unfit to fight due to corneal abrasions. It’s worth noting that Holloway and Borg’s medical issues aren’t related to Thursday’s altercation.
UFC president Dana White told TMZ that McGregor’s fighting future could be in jeopardy. However, he didn’t reveal whether the organization plans to part ways with the fighter.
CLOSER view of the McGregor mayhem at UFC 223 media day pic.twitter.com/k35XKGE41X
— Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) April 5, 2018
[Featured Image: Conor McGregor/New York Police Department]