Monster Energy drink sued for teenager’s death

Monster Beverage Corporation, the company that produces the popular Monster Energy beverages, is being sued for unspecified damages by the father of a teenager that allegedly died as a result of consuming a significant amount of the drink.

The lawsuit states that Daniel Hood, 19, consumed three and a half 24-ounce Monster energy drinks within a 24-hour period. After consuming the last drink, he started playing basketball and soon thereafter collapsed face-first. He was taken the hospital where he shortly died.

The lawsuit indicates that Daniel’s cause of death was of cardiac arrhythmia, stemming from the large amount of caffeine consumed.  The suit alleges that many other consumers of the beverage have had cardiac arrest after consuming large amounts of  the drink in the past.

For instance, The Daily Beast reports that earlier this year, Robert Grim, of Arizona, was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease. He consumed can of Monster Energy each morning for the past ten years, prior to his medical diagnosis. Grim blames the drink for his current medical situation, alleging that the company failed to provide warning that caffeine-filled drinks increase the risk for certain diseases.

Find Law reports additional lawsuits against Monster Beverage Corporation, including a 49-year-old who suffered a stroke, and a 14-year-old, who consumed the drink to “pump up” before wrestling games, who also suffered a stroke.

“These cans lack all types of warnings,” said attorney Mike Morgan, whose firm is representing several Monster Energy plaintiffs.

Monster Energy drinks were initially marketed as a dietary supplement when the drink failed to pass FDA limits on caffeinated drinks. Later, the company switched the drink from a dietary supplement to a “beverage” in an attempt to avoid reporting adverse health effects that can potentially occur when consuming the drink.

[Feature Photo: HolsteinPommer/Creative Commons]