Real life ‘Mean Girls’

Teenage girls can be vicious. Name calling, ignoring each other, and catty arguments are sometimes bound to happen between female friends. It’s all due to the immaturity that comes with growing up. After having time to cool off most friends will realize the argument was stupid, and they’ll make up. But some girls have mental issues that go way beyond high school disagreements. Their mental instability doesn’t allow for them to process things correctly, and they take fights with friends to heart. And sometimes they believe the only way they can solve their problem is with violence.

These are four cases of young girls who have turned on each other in the worst possible way: with murder. Some of their motives are clear, while others are completely incomprehensible. One thing is certain: each case is brutal, hard to fathom, and completely devastating. You will never look at a group of teenage girlfriends the same way again.

The Sasebo Slashing

In June 2004, a 12-year-old Japanese student, Satomi Mitarai, was stabbed to death in an empty classroom during lunch at Okubo Elementary School in Sasebo, Japan. A teacher who realized the young girl was missing discovered her body and notified authorities. Police were shocked to learn the girl was killed by her 11-year-old female classmate.

After killing Mitarai, the 11-year-old suspect left her body and returned to class, covered in blood. She confessed to the crime, and told police she did it because Mitarai made fun of her weight—and for being a good student.

The killer was admitted into a mental institution for the murder.

The Murder of Skylar Neese

16-year-olds Skylar Neese, Sheila Eddy, and Rachel Shoaf were inseparable. Often referred to as the Three Musketeers, each always knew where the other one was—and knew the others darkest secrets. In July 2012, those secrets would grow to a whole new level, and one of the trio would end up dead.

It all began on July 6, 2012. Neese snuck out of her bedroom to hitch a ride with Eddy and Shoaf. When she didn’t arrive home by the next morning, her parents grew worried. Police became involved, and through the power of video surveillance, they determined that Neese was indeed with her two best friends that night.

Eddy and Shoaf told police that they picked Neese up, drove around their Morgantown, West Virginia area, and smoked weed. They insisted they dropped Neese off at the end of her street around midnight; however, police knew that was a lie. Security cameras showed that they didn’t pick Neese up until 12:30am.

So why were the friends lying?

Eddy, friends with Neese since they were eight, helped Neese’s parents search the neighborhood for their missing daughter. But, when she was interviewed by police she was completely emotionless over her friend’s disappearance.

Everyone in school was certain the two friends knew exactly what happened to Neese. As the pressure grew, Shoaf snapped. She had a mental breakdown, and was admitted to a psychiatric facility. When she was discharged in January 2013, she revealed a horrifying secret to her lawyer: she and Eddy murdered their best friend.

The body of Neese was discovered under some branches in a wooded area. She had been stabbed to death. Eddy and Shoaf planned their friend’s murder: they were armed with kitchen knives, a shovel, and a change of clothes when they picked her up that night. The girls had been arguing—Neese didn’t even want to hang out at first—and the argument was taken to a new level.

When asked why they killed their best friend, the girls explained that they just didn’t want to be friends with her anymore. Some argued that Neese knew too much information about Eddy and Shoaf—like an alleged lesbian relationship—and they killed her to keep her quiet.

Shoaf was sentenced to 10 to 30 years in prison. Eddy was sentenced to life in prison, and she didn’t address the court to apologize for her actions.

Neese’s father explained, “my life and my wife’s life have been drastically altered. We’re no longer a family. You can look into the eyes of those who were responsible but you can never know what they heard as they were taking her life.”

Murder of Shanda Sharer

When you’re 12-years-old there are a few things most important to you: love, school, family, and Barbie dolls. Shanda Sharer was a sweet girl with a crush on another girl, and that crush led to her brutal and untimely death.

Unfortunately for Sharer, 16-year-old Melinda Loveless liked the same girl. She hated Sharer, and believed she stole her girlfriend from her. So, she and three of her friends devised a plan for revenge—a plan to kill.

On January 11, 1992, Sharer was lured out of her house and into a car. Once inside, Loveless popped up from the backseat and held a knife to the young girl’s neck. Sharer would then go on to experience the most excruciating 8 final hours of her life, all because of something trivial.

Loveless orchestrated her friends, Laurie Tackett, Hope Rippey, and Toni Lawrence to help beat, stab, choke, and sodomize Sharer through the course of the night. They stripped her naked and tossed her in the backseat of their Chevy. They pulled her out of the car, threw her onto a deserted Camp ground, covered her in gasoline, and watched her burn alive.

Afterward, they went to McDonalds for breakfast.

Lawrence couldn’t keep the vicious killing of Sharer to herself. She confessed to police and all four girls were arrested. Loveless was sentenced to 60 years in jail, but two of the criminals—Lawrence and Rippey—are free women today.

Slenderman Stabbings

Some people can’t determine the difference between reality and fiction. At age 12, Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier were convinced that the fictional horror character Slenderman was real, and they needed to prove their devotion to him.

To show their dedication they decided to murder their friend.

They acted out their plan on May 31, 2014. The girls were having a sleepover with their best friend, Payton Leutner. They wanted to kill her in a park bathroom, but couldn’t bring themselves to do it there. So, they took their friend into the woods, pulled out 5-inch knives, and repeatedly stabbed her 19 times.

After they thought they succeeded in their mission, Geyser and Weier started walking toward Slenderman’s mansion, which they believed resided in Nicolet National Forest near their Waukesha, Wisconsin town. Simultaneously, Leutner would crawl from the woods and be rescued by a passing jogger.

Leutner was in severe condition when she arrived at the hospital—and she was lucky to be alive. When police picked up her two friends, they explained that they did it for Slenderman. They also insisted that if they didn’t kill someone, Slenderman would kill their families.

Even after the accident the girls were adamant that Slenderman was real, and their actions were justified. Both girls are currently awaiting trial for their crimes.