Where is Chase Massner? Veteran disappears, family frantic for answers

A mother’s only son disappears without a trace

Chase Massner, a military veteran, husband, and father to two young girls, seemingly vanished into thin air on March 27, 2014. No one seems to know where he is, no one has heard from him, but no one will give up looking for him until his mother gets answers to where her only son is. He was last seen in the Kennesaw, Georgia, area, at a friend’s house, who offered to let him spend the night.

“I never imagined that it would be my last hug, last kiss on my cheek and my last goodbye to my son as he left our house March 26, 2014,” Chase’s mother, Stephanie Cadena, told Crime Online. “The hole in my heart is paralyzing and I pray that we have closure soon!”

Three years later, a mother’s worst nightmare continues. Where is Chase Massner? His closest friends and family say that he’d never be gone this long without checking in. He’d never leave his two young girls without so much as a good-bye.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling

The Backstory

On the night of  his disappearance, Chase was  feeling down on his luck due to reported domestic disputes. His wife, Amanda Massner, allegedly dropped him in the parking lot of a QT convenience store in Kennesaw or possibly a bank. He then made his way to Brad Clement’s house, a friend who’d offered to let Chase stay with him. This is where things get a bit murky.

The last call Chase made on his cellphone was around 10:40 p.m. on March 26, according to cellphone records. A text was sent out an hour later from his phone. Chase spent the night with Brad, but sometime during the early morning hours of March 27, Brad left his home off of Farmbrook Trail in Kennesaw, with Chase reportedly still sleeping.

Brad claimed he took Chase’s cellphone with him so that Chase wouldn’t leave while he was gone. It’s still unclear why Brad wanted Chase to stay. Later, Brad returned home and said he gave Chase his phone back, then went to either start a BBQ or talk to the roofers who were working at his home that day. Somewhere in between that time, Chase disappeared. He simply walked away, at least according to  Brad.

Since then, there’s been rumors that Chase’s phone was “dismantled.” Months later, according to a disclosed source with phone records, his wife allegedly disconnected his phone and switched providers because she “couldn’t afford the bill.”

No one saw Chase leave, not even Brandon Duck, owner of Duck Roofing, who was at Brad’s house for the majority of the day on March 26 and 27. The suburban subdivision is filled with homes that line a winding culdesac, and it would have taken Chase at least half a mile to walk down the street and out of the neighborhood, if he did indeed walk away. Someone should have seen him walking away. No one did. No unknown vehicles pulled up to Brad’s home, at least from what anyone saw, including a group of workers who spent both days outside of the home, in the yard, and on the roof.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Chase’s mother, friends, and additional family members have frantically searched for him since his disappearance, but each time, have came up empty. Searches performed by professional organizations such as Mounted Rescue returned nothing substantial. To ease the family’s worries, police searched a dumpster in the front of Brad’s home, but again, it yielded no results. Others say that authorities searched the wrong dumpster; authorities looked through a smaller dumpster at the home. A large, commercial dumpster was used at Brad’s home during roofing renovations, but by the time the police went to the home to search, the commercial dumpster had already been returned.

Another roof completed.

Posted by Brandon Duck on Thursday, March 27, 2014


Chase was last seen wearing a red QT sweatshirt and khaki pants. He stands 6-foot-2 inches tall and weighs around 175 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and several prominent tattoos, including the name “Massner” across his back shoulder blades and an angel on his right forearm.

The Facebook group, Justice for Chase Massner, currently has over 1,000 members. Those closest to Chase vow to never stop fighting until he’s found. Tammy Childs, the group’s administrator and close friend of Cadena, told Crime Online that she can’t even imagine the pain Cadena, her close friend, is going through

“When a loved one passes away a family gains a type of closure by having a funeral and or a memorial. As a wife, mother, and nana, I have encountered numerous situations I only thought were unbearable. The one thing I don’t ever think I could ever handle is not knowing the whereabouts of my child or loved one. To not have that closure is unimaginable.

“It is my hope and prayer that someone will come forward to give Chases family closure and a little bit of peace. People do not just vanish. Somebody somewhere knows where this young father is and what happened. Chase wrote that blank check for every one us when he enlisted in the United States Army it’s time for us to write that blank check for him. TeamChase will not give up until his family has the answers they deserve and need. To see and hear the pain his mother goes thru is horrible. My heart breaks every day knowing that his baby girls are growing up without having their father in their lives.”

Sgt. Dana Pierce with the Cobb County Police Department told Crime Online that Chase’s case is very much active. Detectives are working behind the scenes with new information, but Pierce declined to divulge the details. Chase’s wife Amanda couldn’t be reached for comment.

Meanwhile, Cadena continues to hold out hope that she’ll locate her son. She asks anyone with any information to come forward. A $5,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to Chase’s whereabouts.

“We are rapidly approaching three years since Chase disappeared, I plead to the public if you have any information, no matter how small you may think it is, please contact the Cobb County Crimes Against Persons Unit! Lead Detective Chris Twiggs 770-499-3931.”