Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has declared Sunday’s shooting massacre at a Quebec City mosque a “terrorist attack on Muslims.”
The death toll has risen to six, and eight are reported injured after multiple masked gunmen stormed the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre. Two suspects are in custody, and police told Reuters they now believe there were only two people involved in the attack.
Prime Minister Trudeau denounced the attack in a statement: “We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a center of worship and refuge. Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country.”
There were over 40 people gathered at an evening prayer service on Sunday evening when the attack began. The mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangu, told Reuters he was outside of the mosque when he began receiving calls about the attack. Initially, he believed there may have been three gunmen.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” Yangu told Reuters on Sunday.
Prime Minister Trudeau had earlier in the weekend said Canada would welcome refugees, after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order barring refugees from seven countries, including Syria, from entering the United States. Trudeau wrote in a tweet: “To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada.”
Photo: Associated Press