Parents seek justice after baby seriously injured in babysitter’s care

“He can’t talk for himself, he can’t defend himself. That’s why we’re doing this.”

It was a phone call no parent ever expects, and one Chelsea and Rey Valiente will never forget.

“Your son is having a hard time waking up and he had thrown up a few times,” the babysitter said, according to a report from Hawaii News Now.

A few hours later, the unresponsive 17-month-old baby was in the hospital. He his body was covered in bruises and he was bleeding on his brain and eyes.

“He’s my only boy,” Rey remembers. “It’s so hard to accept that somebody would do this to him. I was shaking. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t move. As soon as I got there, I was speechless. I kept telling him, ‘Peyton! Wake up! Wake up son! Don’t leave!’ He wouldn’t respond.”

Peyton, now 3-years-old, survived the ordeal. But the police investigation into the babysitter ended without any charges, and the parents believe it could be because her husband was a police officer.

“There’s no question my son was abused during the time he was there at the babysitter and we want someone to be held accountable. It’s been two years and we thought that we would get a fair shot at a proper investigation regardless whether her husband is a HPD officer, we really trusted the system,” Chelsea said.

Peyton still suffers from seizures, and the long term effects of the damage are still unknown.

“Our lives have changed so dramatically because of it,” Chelsea said. “And all we ask for is answers and someone to be held accountable. He can’t talk for himself, he can’t defend himself. That’s why we’re doing this.”

Two years after that horrific hospital visit, the Valiente family might be a little closer to finding justice.

The Honolulu Police Commission re-opened the case on Wednesday, and are also looking into the initial investigation for any wrongdoing.

“We’ve requested the chief to take another look at it and do an audit and see and he has said he would do that.” said Honolulu Police Commission Chairman Max Sword.

That audit should be completed in the next two weeks.

Hawaii News Now – KGMB and KHNL

[Featured Images: Screenshot via Hawaii News Now]