Karla Homolka spotted volunteering at her children’s school on several occasions

Half of the “Ken and Barbie killers” is around other people’s children…again!

Karla Homolka, nicknamed one half of the “Ken and Barbie killers” after helping her then-boyfriend lure in, rape, and kill unsuspecting girls in the 1990s, is apparently volunteering at her children’s private school in Montreal. This isn’t the first time since her release from prison that she’s been caught around children.

Homolka was convicted of manslaughter in 1992 after turning on her abusive boyfriend, Paul Bernardo, and giving police the evidence needed to catch him after he raped and killed at least three teen girls. One of the murdered girls was Homolka’s own little sister. Homolka admitted to helping Bernardo get 15-year-old Tammy Homolka drunk and drugged on December 24, 1990, and then in a move that shocked the world, she raped her own sister while her boyfriend filmed the ordeal.

After Tammy’s death, it took an additional two years before Bernardo was caught, and during that time, two more girls, Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French, were raped and killed. While Homolka helped authorities capture Bernardo with her testimony, she made herself appear to be an abused girlfriend who spent years scared of Bernardo.

She served only 12 years for manslaughter, whereas Bernardo was sentenced to life behind bars. Yet, after her conviction, video tapes of her little sister’s death emerged, which clearly indicated that Homolka had a much larger role than she originally led detectives to believe. Gruesome video footage showed Homolka performing sexual acts on her little sister as the 15-year-old lay passed out after the couple drugged her.

Although Homolka was no longer viewed as the reluctant and scared accomplice she made herself out to be, she was released from prison in 2005 regardless, as part of her plea deal. She married her attorney’s brother upon release and had a son, but her name was so notorious that many nurses in Canada refused to help her deliver her first child. Shortly after the birth of her son, she moved to Guadeloupe for numerous years, where she had two more children.

A few years ago, Homolka moved back to Canada, and it didn’t take long for the public to learn that one of Canada’s most notorious serial killers was back among their presence. In 2016, she was spotted at one of her children’s schools in Châteauguay, Quebec, under an assumed name. When parents with children at Centennial Elementary School found out who she truly was, many of them were frightened and angry, although school officials reassured them that Homolka couldn’t volunteer at the school.

“The school board has policies in place to ensure that adults who work or volunteer directly with our students are required to have had criminal background checks,” school officials told parents in a memo.

The children’s new school, however, is a private school, and it appears that it may have more relaxed rules when it comes to who can volunteer to help the students. According to the Montreal Sun, Homolka has been sending her three children to the Seventh-day Adventist school in Montreal, where she brought in a dog for show and tell, helped out on a school field trip, and taught kids how to knit.

The school knows about Homolka’s past, but numerous parents said that when they expressed their concerns, they were told she was not a threat. A few parents were told they were not welcome to send their kids back in September after they spread the message about Homolka.

School officials said that parents have nothing to worry about.

“She is not a regular volunteer and can never be alone with any children, either in school or churches,’ said the school’s spokesperson. “It is protocol for all of our schools across Canada, and most of the world, to do background checks, not only on teachers, but volunteers as well as clergy. As I said, she is not a regular volunteer. Rarely would she have cause to go into the school, and when she is, she is never alone.”

Homolka couldn’t be reached for comment. When local reporters questioned her, she refused to answer anything and simply said she had nothing to day.

[Feature Photo: Handout]