‘All I did was I took my daughter to the dentist’: Heartbroken mom desperate for answers after healthy toddler dies during routine dental prodedure

California mother Araceli Avila took her 3-year-old daughter in for a routine dental procedure and, later that day, the toddler was pronounced dead.

Daleyza Avila-Hernandez was getting two teeth pulled, and caps put on two others, at the Children’s Dental Surgery Center in Stockton, when something went horribly wrong, according to FOX40.

Avila was not allowed into the room while the surgery took place. Moments later, she heard an ambulance approaching, never suspecting that it was en-route to pick up her own daughter.

“I stood up and went outside because I was like, they are coming for a kid, but I never thought it was for my child,” she told FOX2.

Then, the grieving mother recounted, a nurse came out and told her that her precious daughter’s heart had stopped. The 3-year-old was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.

A cause of death has not been officially announced, as an autopsy has yet to be conducted, though David Thompson, an administrator at the facility, did note that an anesthesiologist was on-hand during the little girl’s dental procedure. Thompson also expressed complete disbelief.

“This is not an easy thing to deal with. I’ve been doing this for almost ten years now; I’ve never had a situation like this,” he said. “It’s a terrible, terrible tragedy honestly and our thoughts and prayers are really with the family right now.”

Araceli Avila told reporters that her daughter was “very healthy.” The girl’s father, Jose Hernandez, agreed, telling reporters that he saw his daughter “vivacious and full of life” just moments before the procedure.

The family is looking for answers. They plan to protest outside of the dental surgery center on Saturday, asking for justice, according to CBS Sacramento.

“All I did was I took my daughter to the dentist because they were going to fix her teeth, and about 30 minutes later they brought her back dead,” said the girl’s mother.

The Dental Board of California doesn’t have any answers to give, as of yet, but they did release a statement to Fox News.

“The Dental Board of California is aware of the tragic situation. An investigation is underway so specific details of the case cannot be shared at this time. Consumer protection is the board’s highest concern and we want to extend our deepest sympathy to the family.”

The Stockton Police Department is currently investigating Daleyza’s death. Autopsy results will be available next week.

[Featured Image: YouTube/screenshot]