Police officer ‘stunned’ when his partner shot, killed unarmed bride-to-be: Report

The police officer who witnessed his partner shoot and kill a woman in Minneapolis was reportedly stunned that his fellow officer shot at the unarmed woman who had called 911 to report a disturbance behind her home.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, on Saturday night Justine Damond, 40, called 911 to report a possible assault in an alley behind her home, which the Star-Tribune reports is in one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. She is an Australian native engaged to marry her American fiance next month.

Minnesota Police Officers Mohammed Noor and Matthew Harrity responded to the scene, with Harrity driving the cruiser. According to police radio dispatch obtained by the Star-Tribune, the officers reported that they arrived to find a woman screaming in the alley.

Damond reportedly walked up to the police cruiser and was having a conversation with the officers while standing at the driver’s side door. For reasons not known, Noor pulled his gun and shot Damond in the abdomen. She could not be revived.

Police sources reportedly said Harrity was “stunned” when Noor shot at Damond.

Authorities later confirmed that she did not have a weapon. Her cell phone was found near her body at the scene.

The unexplained shooting is particularly controversial as neither or the officers had turned on their bodycams.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told the Star Tribune that both of the officers should have had their body cameras on.

“I do understand this, they were driving down an alley, the victim approached the car. That’s not necessarily a time you must [be taping], but frankly I think it’s a time you should,” he said.

Both officers have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure. But Noor, who joined the force in 2015, had two open complaints on his file, and was named in a lawsuit stemming from a May incident in which a woman accused Noor and two other officers of forced imprisonment and assault. The officers came to her home believing that she was having a mental health crisis.

Noor has secured an attorney as the investigation into the fatal shooting continues.


Feature photo: Facebook