Child killer who raped toddler girl with help from her own mother cries out for forgiveness before execution

Child killer Ron Phillips is the first person in three years to be executed in Ohio.

A man convicted of raping and killing a toddler in 1993 was executed on Wednesday at an Ohio penitentiary.

CBS News’ Crimesider reports that Ronald Phillips, 43, raped and killed 3-year-old Sheila Marie Evans, his girlfriend Fae Evans’ young daughter, when he was 19. A judge sentenced him to death for his crimes, and on Tuesday, the U.S. Supreme Court denied his request for additional time.

As he lay strapped down on an execution table at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility on Wednesday afternoon, Phillips, for the first time since the child’s murder, apologized for his actions with “a shaky voice.”

“I’m sorry you had to live so long with my evil actions. All those years I prayed you’d forgive me and find it in your heart to forgive and have mercy on me. Sheila Marie did not deserve what I did to her. I know she is with the Lord and she suffers no more. I’m sorry to each and every one of you that you lived with this pain all those years.”

After Phillips attacked the little girl inside her Akron home, her grandmother found her lying lifeless on a bed. The grandmother rushed Sheila Marie to an Akron hospital to undergo emergency surgery. The 3-year-old died shortly after. According to an autopsy report, the little girl had more than 125 bruises after Phillips brutally beat on her head, torso, genitals, face, arms, and legs.

Sheila Marie died on January 3, 1993. She was only 3-feet-1 inches tall and weighed 41 pounds at the time of her death.

Phillips was arrested shortly after the child’s death, and confessed that he raped her on several previous occasions. He said on the day he brutally beat her, he became “sexually aroused” when the little girl walked around with no underwear on. According to a medical examiner’s report, Phillips sodomized the child both anally and vaginally.

Fae Evans, the child’s mother, was later charged with involuntary manslaughter after detectives discovered she held the girl down and allowed Phillips to rape her. While serving time in prison, Evans was diagnosed with cancer. She passed away in 2008.

Sheila Marie’s aunt, Donna Hudson, attended the execution. She said that no matter what Phillips said, she couldn’t find it in her heart to forgive him.

“God forgave him, but, I’m sorry, I don’t think I can.”

Shortly before the execution, Phillips appeared to be quietly crying. He appeared to understand his time was up as he stared blankly at the ceiling. As lethal drugs poured through his veins, he didn’t show any signs of his distress. His chin dropped down and he passed away at 10:43 a.m.

Phillips’ death was the moment Hudson had been waiting for, for over 20 years. She sighed a breath of relief afterwards.

“Finally, after 24½ years, she can rest in peace.”

[Feature Photo: Handout]