At least two people have reportedly overdosed at Hurricane Irma emergency shelters in Palm Beach County.
According to WPTV, reporters staying at the Palm Beach County Emergency Operations Center said that firefighters are assessing overdoses but could confirm at least two so far.
“There have been two overdoses,” Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg said. “[The victims] have been saved and treated medically.”
County employees also revealed that the Palm Beach shelter was inundated with residents from sober homes. Aronberg explained that sober homes are unlicensed and unregulated in Florida, meaning they aren’t obligated to tell shelters when they’re dropping off recovering addicts.
Specifically, Delray Beach is home to many sober living facilities. Aronberg said that area shelters are armed with additional doses of Narcan.
“If you are staying at a shelter, do not be alarmed,” Aronberg told the local station. “These shelters are very well run, and have a lot of law enforcement on site.”
The Palm Beach Post also reported that a 23-year-old woman died from a suspected overdose at a Boynton Beach hotel Saturday night. A Boynton Beach Police spokesperson said that this was the first reported overdose during Hurricane Irma.
We responded to what is believed to be our first fatal overdose of #HurricaneIrma. 23yo female at The Inn at Boynton.
— Boynton Beach Police (@BBPD) September 10, 2017
A witness reportedly told investigators that the deceased woman injected heroin. Officers also recovered drug paraphernalia from the scene. A Medical Examiner is currently determining an exact cause of death.
[Featured Image: Pixabay]