Nurse killed while bungee jumping, but investigators say device wasn’t defective

A Colorado nurse died earlier this month while bungee jumping, but authorities say the attraction was not malfunctioning at the time of the incident, the Daily Sentinel reports.

Ciara Romero, 20, was killed Jan. 4 while on the 70-foot bungee jump at Get Air at the Silo trampoline park in Grand Junction, Colorado. The attraction allows people to free fall and then be lowered to the ground slowly. Participants wear a harness and are connected to a tower using a rope.

The state’s Department of Labor and Employment inspected and tested the device after Romero’s death, and also scrutinized the bungee jump manufacturer company Head Rush Technologies. They concluded that everything was functioning normally, the newspaper reports. Investigators are now exploring other factors that may have caused the incident.

“This inspection involved testing which subjected the device to various loading profiles across a range of weights, where the velocity and force were recorded in simulated descents,” Head Rush said in a written statement.

“The inspection and testing determined that the device, webbing and triple-locking carabiner were found to be intact, and functioning normally, with no apparent damage.”

Colorado Department of Labor and Employment spokeswoman Cher Haavind said authorities are continuing to probe Romero’s death. They are examining statements from witnesses and are working with local law enforcement.

“We’re looking at all possible causes,” she said. “This is extremely rare, which is why the investigation is taking longer.”

On Monday, Get Air issued a statement saying it “feels deep sorrow and profound sympathy for (Romero’s) family and friends in their loss, and expresses its sincere condolences to them.”

The company praised emergency crews for responding and helping Romero and her loved ones.

“We are fully cooperating with the Grand Junction Police Department, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration and Colorado State regulatory agencies in their investigations of the incident,” the statement reads.

“We will have no further comment regarding this investigation or incident.”

[Feature Photo: Ciara Romero/Facebook]