Fan ‘infatuated’ with famous YouTube couple breaks into their home, get shot dead: Police

A New Mexico man was shot to death after police say he drove more over 10 hours last month and broke into the home of a famous Texas YouTube couple.

KVUE reports that at close to 3:40 a.m. on Jan. 26, YouTube vlogger Meg Turney dialed 911 and told a dispatcher that she heard a gunshot and glass breaking coming from her Austin home, off of the 4500 block of Avenue G. Her boyfriend, fellow YouTube vlogger, Gavin Free, was in the home as well when they heard someone entering the residence through the back door.

Both Turney and Free hid in a bedroom closet while the suspect, identified as 23-year-old Christopher Eric Giles, of Albuquerque, reportedly crept through the home, searching for them. When he couldn’t locate them, Giles reportedly returned to his car, but as he was backing out of the home’s driveway, officers with the Austin Police Department arrived. Noticing a New Mexico license plate, Officer Matthew Jackson ordered Giles to stop.

According to court documents, Giles opened fire when Jackson demanded him to stop the vehicle. After hearing the gunshot, the officer fired back, killing the suspect, according to Assistant Police Chief Troy Gay. When the deputies searched the vehicle, they found a handgun in the suspect’s hand, and a New Mexico driver’s license with Giles’ name and photo on it.

Authorities later said that Giles used a weapon, likely a gun, to break the glass door in the back of the home. Surveillance video at the residence showed the suspect walking around the home, apparently looking for the victims. Austin authorities indicated that “it was apparent that Giles’ sole intent was to cause harm to someone who resides there.”

Further, police said that  “threatening thoughts were recorded by Giles and directed toward” Gavin Free on the suspect’s cellphone, with messages such as, “I want Gavin Free to die alone, with no children.”

Officer Jackson is currently on administrative leave, a standard protocol done after a shooting incident involving officers. Both Turney and Free were unharmed during the incident.

[Feature Photo: Christopher Giles/Police Handout]