Iowa family found dead at Mexico resort inhaled toxic gas, died within 48 hours before they were found

The Iowa family of four that was found dead in their vacation condo near Tulum, Mexico late last week died after they inhaled poisonous gas.

As CNN reports, the the Quintana Roo prosecutor’s office wrote in a Facebook post on Saturday that the Sharp family died in their rented condo after inhaling an unknown toxic substance. The report says that there were no signs of forced entry, and the prosecutors reiterated a belief that foul play was not factor.

Kevin Wayne Sharp and Amy Marie Sharp traveled with their children Sterling, 12; and Adrianna, 7, to Cancun last Wednesday and drove to Tulum for a beach vacation. As CrimeOnline previously reported, the Sharps texted relatives to say they had arrived safely the next day, but never contacted friends or relatives again, and did not make any further social media posts.

Concerned relatives reported the family missing on Thursday after the Sharps did not arrive back to Creston, Iowa, on Wednesday as planned. Multiple news reports have said authorities conducting a welfare check found the family on Friday, though a relative told CrimeOnline she believes they were found late Thursday night.

Despite the family’s longer lapse in communication, authorities reportedly believe they died within 48 hours of being found.

The Los Angeles Times reports that officials have not determined the source or type of toxins that family inhaled. Authorities have “carried out a physical investigation of the gas connections in the room,” according to the prosecutor’s office, and will release more information pending the results of the investigation.


[Feature image: Sharp family/Facebook]