Authorities: Lone suspect, a white male, is dead following Jacksonville mass shooting

The lone suspect in a mass shooting at an e-gaming tournament on Sunday is dead. He has been described as a white male but had not been identified by police as of the latest updates available.

One anonymous source cited by the Associated Press as someone close to the investigation confirmed early reports that two people were dead, though it was unclear from the statement whether that toll included the gunman.

According to WNDU, Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said officials were still attempting to confirm the suspect’s identity.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, a witness said the gunman was a losing competitor in the event and seemed to target victims individually before turning the gun on himself.

The incident occurred at Jacksonville Landing, a riverfront shopping and entertainment district where the Madden 19 competition was being held.

Authorities did not elaborate on the details of the shooting or their investigation in a preliminary news conference Sunday afternoon. Williams did say the scene had been secured, however, providing some relief to a community rocked by the latest deadly act of gun violence.

Several victims were killed and other injured, though authorities warned against relying on early media reports that had not been substantiated by investigators.

“There are inaccurate numbers being distributed by local and national media,” the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office tweeted. “This is fluid and as soon as we have confirmed numbers they will be released. Please remember this Twitter @JSOPIO is the only official source of information.”

Reports indicate authorities would only confirm that there were no other suspects being sought in the case, confirming the there was no longer an active shooter threat at the mall and surrounding area.

[Featured image: AP Photo/Laura Heald]