The convicted kidnapper in an abduction that California authorities initially deemed a hoax will likely cross-examine his two victims during a preliminary hearing on Tuesday, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
While Matthew Muller, a disbarred attorney, pleaded guilty to a kidnapping charge last year in exchange for a 40-year sentence, he is now reportedly representing himself on six new felony counts—including forcible rape, robbery, burglary, and false imprisonment charges in connection with the case that captured headlines across the globe.
Prosecutors said that in 2015, Muller entered the Vallejo home of Denise Huskins (pictured center) and her now-fiancé, Aaron Quinn (pictured right), as they slept. Muller is accused of tying them up, drugging them, then raping Huskins and kidnapping her. He allegedly held her for a hefty ransom.
#BREAKING convicted kidnapper Matthew Muller, representing himself in new state charges, will likely cross examine his victims during prelim Tues & will be allowed to view videotape he made of himself raping Huskins per Solano Co DA. Story 5pm @abc7newsbayarea pic.twitter.com/Vs4li0JiHp
— Melanie Woodrow (@MelanieWoodrow) September 18, 2018
Two days later, Huskins reappeared, telling officials in an elaborate recount that she had been taken from Quinn’s bed before being sexually assaulted.
The ordeal was compared to the 2014 thriller “Gone Girl,” a film about a woman who invented her own abduction, after Vallejo police dismissed the victims’ accounts of what happened as a hoax.
Earlier this year, the couple reached a $2.5 million settlement with Vallejo Police Department and the city for the anguish they were put through, as reported by the Associated Press.
The latest charges were filed January 26, and because Muller is said to be representing himself, he will likely cross-examine the victims, who were subpoenaed Wednesday to testify at the preliminary hearing.
“We are preparing as if the victims will be testifying,” Solano County Chief Deputy District Attorney Sharon Henry said, according to KTVU.
An attorney for Huskins, Doug Rappaport, expressed concern to the news station about his client having to face her kidnapper and alleged rapist.
“It’s disgusting, but that’s what our Constitution says and, quite frankly, I believe in the Constitution. So consequently, while it’s repulsive, it’s required by law.”
Quinn’s attorney, Dan Russo, told the San Francisco Chronicle that facing Muller “is going to be a nightmare” for the couple, who were dating at the time of the kidnapping and are now engaged.
“The truth is they are amazingly courageous people,” Russo said. “What they are doing is giving hope to other victims, saying, ‘I can stand up and fight back.’”
Adding insult to injury, while Muller pleaded not guilty to the latest charges in Solano County Superior Court, he reportedly said if Huskins and Quinn donate half of their $2.5 million to the innocence project, a group who aids those who have been wrongfully convicted, he will change his plea to guilty.
“He’s asking for a ransom yet again, and quite frankly they didn’t pay it the first time and they’re not going to pay it the second time,” Rappaport said.
[Feature Photo: (Lawyer) Anthony Douglas Rappaport; Denise Huskins; Aaron Quinn via AP/Sudhin Thanawala]