As tips pour in regarding missing Wisconsin teen, Jayme Closs, authorities, who are currently analyzing a 911 call placed from the girl’s home on the morning her parents died, indicated that a tip from Miami that gained popularity over the past few days is not credible.
“There have been tips and information being released that does not come from this podium,” Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said during a Tuesday press conference. “That is not credible information. I can not stress that enough…..If it does not come from this podium, it is not a credible tip.”
Fitzgerald also said Jayme, 13, who was reported missing after her parents were found dead in their Barron home on Monday, is considered to be in extreme danger. The sheriff said he couldn’t divulge information on why she’s in danger, as it could compromise the case.
Investigators previously stated that gunfire was involved in the incident that left 56-year-old James Closs and his wife, 46-year-old Denise Closs. They’re now concentrating on a 911 call made from the home at around 1 a.m. on Monday.
How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.
The caller, according to Fitzgerald, was inaudible and didn’t speak directly to the 911 dispatcher. The sheriff told CBS News that investigators determined that the call came from a cell phone and that they know who the owner of the phone is. However, as part of the investigation, they cannot share the information.
“It was on a cell phone and there was no comment made — no one communicated with the dispatcher,” Fitzgerald said. “I don’t know if the word ‘help’ was said, but there was some sort of disturbance going on, which is why officers were sent to the house.”
#AMBERAlert UPDATE @bcsheriff has released new photos of Jayme Cross, last seen October 15, 2018 in Barron, WI. https://t.co/nQaPnn3gbX pic.twitter.com/tILRELL9k3
— NCMEC (@MissingKids) October 16, 2018
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Jayme was not in the home when authorities arrived and found her parents deceased on early Monday morning. Investigators are treating the girl’s disappearance as an abduction, likely at gunpoint. They’ve spoken to people at Jayme’s middle school and checked her social media, but so far, have found nothing that would indicate any trouble in the home or at school. Jayme is not considered a suspect in her parents’ death.
The FBI, along with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) continue to assist in the search for Jayme. Authorities haven’t released any details regarding a possible motive and haven’t released information on any suspects or persons of interest in mind.
According to family members, Jayme was last seen at a birthday party on Saturday afternoon. They said nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the teen. Authorities interviewed people at Jayme’s school, as well as family members, and didn’t find anything amiss in her school and home life.
Jayme is described as a white female who stands 5-feet tall, weighs around 100 pounds, and has green eyes and strawberry blond hair.
Anyone with any information on Jayme’s whereabouts is urged to contact the Barron County Sheriff’s Department at 715-537-3106 or dial 911. Tips can be sent to 855-744-3879.
4:00 pm press conference.
Posted by Barron County Sheriff's Department on Tuesday, October 16, 2018
Join Nancy Grace for her new video series new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.
[Feature Photo: Jayme Closs/Barron County Sheriff’s Department]