A Georgia medical facility was back to normal operations as of Sunday morning following a security scare the previous day.
According to WXIA, a recently released patient at DeKalb Medical Center went on to cause a disturbance outside of the Decatur hospital.
The incident prompted a lockdown and local authorities and SWAT units were soon on the scene in an effort to restore order.
DeKalb Police Maj. Craig Medlin said officers were able to approach the suspect, who had entered a box truck in the hospital parking lot as part of an effort to barricade himself from authorities.
“Police responded and were able to peacefully negotiate with him to get him out of the truck,” he said.
During a lockdown that spanned the negotiation and initial investigation, police at the hospital prevented all entry and exit.
As Medlin explained on Saturday, the suspect was re-admitted and was “getting help inside the hospital.”
Authorities had not identified the suspect as of the latest updates available.
Officers from @DeKalbCountyPD say the man who barricaded himself had been a patient in the hospital. He went outside and got into an argument with some people and then barricaded himself in the back of the truck. Officers were able to coax him out without injury. No one was hurt. pic.twitter.com/Uf4sxjMt3q
— Alexa Liacko FOX 5 (@AlexaLiackoFOX5) November 3, 2018
WXIA spoke to one hospital visitor who described the scene and expressed relief that no one was injured.
“MY family is safe, they were just in their room,” said Timothy Prosser. “When I saw the big bomb trucks and SWAT van I knew this wasn’t a drill.”
The lockdown was lifted and operations were fully restored at the hospital by Saturday evening. There were no reports of injuries.
[Featured image: video screenshot]