One of the 12 people killed in Wednesday night’s shooting in Thousand Oaks, California, reportedly survived the Route 91 Harvest Festival massacre last year in Las Vegas.
Telemachus Orfanos, 27, was fatally shot at Borderline Bar & Grill, where he reportedly worked. A Facebook profile belonging to Orfanos listed him as a Navy veteran, according to the Orange County Register.
USA Today reported that Ian David Long, 28, entered the bar late Wednesday and deployed a smoke device before opening fire, killing 12 and wounding another 12. Long then took his own life.
KNBC reported that Wednesday was College Country Night, the bar’s weekly event which is popular among students from several local colleges.
Telemachus’ father, Marc Orfanos, told the Ventura County Star it’s “ironic” that his son survived the worst mass shooting in modern history only to be gunned down in his hometown.
Gregory Krisilas said of Telemachus, who was the godfather of his daughter, “He survived the Vegas massacre last year where he spent the whole night carrying injured and assisting first responders.”
In a now-viral video, Telemachus’ mother told KABC that she didn’t want the public’s “thoughts and prayers” and made a tearful plea for gun control.
“I don’t want prayers,” Susan Orfanos said. “I don’t want thoughts. I want gun control, and I hope to God nobody else sends me any more prayers. I want gun control. No more guns.
“I hope to God no one sends me anymore prayers. I want gun control. No more guns!” – mother of shooting victim Telemachus Orfanos. She says he survived the #LasVegasShooting but did not survive the #ThousandOaksMassacre. @ABC7 @ABCNewsLive pic.twitter.com/UMqTY1RATK
— Veronica Miracle (@ABC7Veronica) November 8, 2018
[Featured Image: Telemachus Orfanos/Facebook]