One dead, two injured — including a 12-year-old girl — in Thanksgiving mall shooting

Chaos erupted at an Alabama mall when a man reportedly opened fire Thanksgiving night, leaving the alleged gunman dead and two others injured—including a child.

As shoppers geared up ahead of Black Friday, Hoover police said a fight broke out between two young men at Riverchase Galleria—which then apparently led to a shooting at approximately 9:30 p.m, WBRC reports, citing police.

The unidentified 21-year-old male suspect allegedly opened fire at an 18-year-old man, hitting him with a single bullet. A 12-year-old girl was also shot, though the timing and details weren’t clear at the time of publishing.

“What we do know is after the exchange of gunfire…the person that shot the 18-year-old was fleeing the area when he was confronted by two Hoover officers who were in uniform,” Hoover police Capt. Greg Rector told reporters at a press conference. “One of our Hoover officers did engage that individual, shot him, and he is dead on the scene.”

Both victims were transported to separate hospitals for treatment of their injuries, while the suspect was shot to death by officials when they encountered him, police told reporters.

The young girl is apparently “alert and talking,” according to the news station. The male victim’s injuries are reportedly considered “serious,” and he is being treated at UAB Hospital in Birmingham.

A probe into the shooting is underway, and the police officers who engaged with the suspect have reportedly placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

A gun was reportedly discovered in “Santa’s Village” at the mall after the shooting by authorities, though the type of firearm hasn’t yet been revealed.

Purported videos from the scene posted to social media showed patrons of the mall running in fear amid the mayhem. While the establishment was closed for the night following the incident, it reopened at 6 a.m. Friday.

“We are devastated by the incident that happened tonight in our shopping center,” Riverchase Galleria stated in a tweet. “We are working closely with the Hoover Police Department. While there is no current danger to our community, we will remain closed until further notice.”

This is a developing story. Check back with CrimeOnline for the latest updates.