The owner of the New England Patriots is speaking out for the first time since his arrest in Florida on suspicion of soliciting prostitution at a massage parlor at the center of a human trafficking investigation.
Robert Kraft began by explaining that he stayed quiet in “deference to the judicial process” and the statement comes days after he reached a deal with prosecutors allowing him to escape charges of solicitation in exchange for publicly acknowledging that sufficient evidence existed to convict him of the criminal count.
“To correct some of the misinformation surrounding this matter, my attorney made his first public comments on Friday night,” Kraft said. “I would like to use this opportunity to say something that I have wanted to say for four weeks.”
He went on to apologize to his family, friends, colleagues, fans of the NFL franchise, and anyone holding him to a “higher standard,” as reported by CNBC.
Kraft said that he has made an effort to “do the right thing” throughout his life using a moral compass tuned by his late wife.
JUST IN: New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft says he is "truly sorry" in wake of solicitation of prostitution charges: "I know I have hurt and disappointed my family, my close friends … and many others who rightfully hold me to a higher standard." https://t.co/oRgufOPNUM pic.twitter.com/POej0zYJbn
— ABC News (@ABC) March 23, 2019
“As I move forward, I hope to continue to use the platform with which I have been blessed to help others and to try to make a difference,” he concluded. “I expect to be judged not by my words, but by my actions. And through these actions, I hope to regain your confidence and respect.”
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Kraft was one of more than two dozen subjects arrested as part of the investigation into the Jupiter day spa.
He is expected to appear in court again next week for a hearing to determine whether the deferred prosecution deal will keep the matter from going to trial.
[Featured image: Robert Kraft, AP Photo/Ben Margot]