Top Chicago cop ‘FURIOUS’ that Jussie Smollett charges were dropped

Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson is reportedly “furious” that prosecutors dropped the disorderly conduct charges against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett.

Fox News reportedly spoke to a member of the Chicago Police Department who said that Johnson, who announced the charges against Smollett in an emotional press conference last month, would be holding a news conference on Tuesday afternoon to respond to the stunning development in the investigation — as questions continue to surround the prosecutors’ decision to drop the criminal case, and it remains unclear if prosecutors now believe Smollett was in fact a victim of a hate crime he had been accused of falsely reporting.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Smollett has forfeited his $10,000 cash bail and will perform community service, but his lawyer insisted in a news conference earlier Tuesday that there was “no deal” between the actor and prosecutors.

A CBS2 reporter said on Twitter that Johnson was not informed of the status change, and that he is “furious.”

The reporter also shared a tweet from the Chicago Police Department spokesperson, strongly suggesting that the department still believes Smollett is responsible for staging a purported hate crime.

Stay with CrimeOnline as we continue to cover this developing story.