An American tourist died after drinking something from the minibar in a Dominican Republic hotel weeks before three other Americans died while on vacation in the Caribbean country.
Robert Bell Wallace, 67, died in April after drinking a scotch from the minibar in his hotel room at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana, his niece told Fox News.
“He was fine” before taking the drink, Chloe Arnold told the news station.
“He and his wife arrived there at around midnight on April 10. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar. He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his urine and stool right afterward.”
Arnold said Wallace saw a hotel doctor who determined he should be hospitalized on April 13. He reportedly passed away the next day, and authorities have still not given Wallace’s family a cause of death.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, died on May 25 after having a drink from the minibar in her room at the Bahia Principe Hotel in La Romana. Five days later, an engaged American couple were found unresponsive at another Bahia Principe hotel. Authorities have said that all three died of respiratory failure and pulmonary embolism, though toxicology reports are still pending, according to CBS News.
JUST IN: US State Dept confirms a 4th American tourist death in the Dominican Republic.
He has been identified as Robert Bell Wallace, a native of the Bay Area https://t.co/b4FVoGiGoD pic.twitter.com/EDtuPxad2V
— KRON4 News (@kron4news) June 10, 2019
And according to that report, another woman died at a Bahia Principe hotel last year. Felecia Nieves told CBS News that her sister Yvette Monique Sport died after taking a drink from the minibar.
“There is something … something dirty at the bottom of all of this,” Nieves said. “She was 51 years of age, relatively healthy, no reason for her to go on vacation and just die so suddenly.”
As CrimeOnline previously reported, an American woman is rethinking the circumstances of her husband’s premature death at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino last year. Dawn McCoy told WTOP that her husband David Harrison died of a heart attack and pulmonary edema after becoming violently ill at the resort.
“I no longer feel like my husband died of natural causes,” she told the news station. “I started seeing all these other people that were dying of the same exact causes, which made me start to second guess.”
The FBI confirmed to Fox News that the agency is working with authorities in the Dominican Republic to investigate the deaths.