Convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein has been denied bail and will remain in custody as he awaits trial on sex trafficking charges.
As the New York Post reports, Judge Richard Berman rejected a request from Epstein’s defense team to have him released to home confinement on Thursday.
“Starting with my conclusions, the government’s application for continued remand is hereby granted and the defense’s application for pretrial release is respectfully hereby denied,” the federal judge reportedly said in a Manhattan courtroom.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Berman had said earlier this week that he needed more time to make a decision about whether to grant a bail release to the convicted pedophile, who is accused of sex trafficking underage girls. Prosecutors reportedly described Epstein, 66, as an “extraordinary flight risk.”
Prosecutors also said this week that federal agents found a fake, expired passport, cash, and diamonds in a safe during a raid of Epstein’s Manhattan townhouse earlier this month.
A CNN reporter said on Twitter that the judge described the defense team’s proposed bail package as “irretrievably inadequate.”
The judge described Epstein's proposed bail package, which would have allowed him to return to his UES mansion, as "irretrievably inadequate."
— erica orden (@eorden) July 18, 2019
Epstein faces up to 45 years in prison if convicted on the recent charges.