Ad
Ad

UPDATE: Teen Gilroy gunman legally purchased assault rifle before mass shooting that killed TWO children at popular garlic festival

Authorities confirmed that a 13-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy were among the victims

UPDATE: 5:40 ET

The San Francisco Chronicle has released more details about the gun purchase made by Santino William Legan prior to the deadly mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival on Sunday.

According to the report, Legan purchased a WASR-10 semiautomatic rifle at Big Mikes Gun and Ammo in Fallon, Nevada, on July 9. At the time, Legan was reportedly living in Walker, Nevada, though he is a native of Gilroy, California. Authorities were at the Gilroy home on Monday appearing to search for evidence. It remains unclear where Legan’s permanent residence was at the time of the shooting.

The minimum age for a firearm purchase in Nevada is 18, but in California, one must be 21 years of age to purchase or own the type of gun Legan bought in Nevada.

“It’s absolutely illegal to bring into California,” a law enforcement source who spoke on the condition of anonymity told the San Francisco Chronicle.

The store where Legan purchased the gun reportedly posted a message on its Facebook page addressing the tragic shooting:

“We feel so very sorry for the Families, I am heartbroken this could ever happen. Please show only respect here. Good people have been hurt and this goes against everything I believe in. I have always said we will sell to good people and have done everything we can to make sure this happens. We obey the Laws, We are a small home business, we sell to people who we think are upstanding citizens to promote safe sport shooting. I pray to God for all the families. I did not know this individual. He ordered the rifle off my internet page. When I did see him, he was acting happy and showed no reasons for concern. I would never ever sell any firearm to anyone who acted wrong or looks associated with any bad group like white power. Everyone is my brother and sister and I am mourning for the families. Mike.”

ORIGINAL STORY:

Police in Gilroy, California, released more details about the fatal shooting at a garlic festival on Sunday, revealing that a 13-year-old girl was among those killed in the massacre.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, the grieving family of 6-year-old Stephen Romero confirmed to the Mercury News that the boy was among those killed at the Gilroy Garlic Festival on Sunday. His mother and grandmother were reportedly also shot, but are expected to recover.

At a news conference on Monday, Gilroy Police confirmed that a 13-year-old girl and a man in his twenties were also killed, along with the gunman. Police have not yet disclosed the names of the victims.

Authorities have identified the gunman as 19-year-old Santino William Legan. As the New York Post notes, police said at the news conference that Legan legally purchased an  ‘AK-47-style’ rifle in Nevada, where he reportedly has family. The suspect lived in Gilroy, and a reporter based in Northern California tweeted photos of his home taken on Monday, when investigators were seen leaving with evidence.

Authorities have revealed little about the suspect, but Newsweek reports that actress and writer Amanda Duarte took screenshots of Legan’s Instagram account before it was taken down, and shared them on Twitter. The screenshots appear to show that Legan promoted a book on his account that has been characterized as white supremacist in nature, just before the shooting.

Authorities have not yet commented on the shooter’s possible motive.

“This seems like a random act but we’ve got a long way to go” in the investigation, Gilroy Police Chief Scott Smithee said at the news conference.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

[Feature image: Santino William Legan/Instagram; Stephen Romero/Handout]