VIDEO: Suicide-by-text convict Michelle Carter walks out of prison months early

Authorities called Carter a ‘model inmate’ who participated in multiple prison programs

Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for encouraging her boyfriend’s 2014 suicide, was released from prison on Thursday after serving 11 months of a 15-month sentence.

Carter, 22, was spotted leaving the women’s center at the Bristol County House of Corrections on Thursday. reported that Carter was accompanied by a corrections officer who carried two large bags containing her belongings.

Carter, then 17, had texted her suicidal boyfriend Conrad Roy III, 18, to “get back in” his truck after he expressed apprehension about killing himself via carbon monoxide poisoning. In the months leading up to his death, Carter had repeatedly urged Roy to take his own life in text messages.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Carter began her two-and-a-half-year sentence in February. She was required to serve at least 15 months in prison. The remainder of her sentence was suspended and she is to serve five years on probation. reported Carter participated in multiple programs during her incarceration. Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson explained on Thursday that inmates can earn up to 10 days of good time a month.

“She was a model inmate for the entire time she was here,” Hodgson said, adding that Carter’s favorite pastime was gardening.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to examine Carter’s 2017 involuntary manslaughter conviction. The highest court declined to hear the case, meaning her conviction will stand.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to a related episode: 

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Featured image: Michelle Carter/Bristol County Sheriff’s Office]