Amari Nicholson

BREAKING: Body of missing 2-year-old Amari Nicholson found, sources say

The body of a missing Las Vegas toddler has been found, according to what sources told local reporters.

According to KLAS-TV reporters, Vanessa Murphy and Joel Moeller, sources said 2-year-old Amari Nicholson’s body was found at a complex close to the Emerald Suites in Las Vegas. The child was staying with his mother’s boyfriend, Terrell Rhodes, at Emerald Suites when he vanished on May 6.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Rhodes is currently being behind bars for allegedly murdering the boy. Amari’s mother, Tayler Nicholson, was in Colorado at the time, helping her family.

Rhodes initially told authorities that a woman knocked on his door at 6 a.m. on May 6 and said she was the sister of Amari’s father and was there to take the boy with her.

Nicholson said she admitted she told Rhodes that “someone would be stopping by” after the couple got into an argument, prior to her leaving for Colorado. Nicholson never said who would be stopping by or why, but Rhodes said he still had the message “in his head” when the woman picked up Amari.

Rhodes said he tried to call Nicholson to confirm, but she was still sleeping and didn’t answer the call.

Rhodes eventually confessed to killing the child, according to police.

After an investigation, authorities determined that Rhodes “hit the child numerous times, causing his death,” Chief Deputy District Attorney Tim Fattig said during a bail hearing for the defendant on Wednesday morning.

Authorities later found soiled children’s clothing and blood in Rhodes’ apartment.

According to Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo, Rhodes told authorities where to find Amari’s body after confessing to killing him, but “that proved to be false, so we’re still following up.” It’s unclear at this point what led to the discovery.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that Nicholson posted on Facebook Tuesday night that she “never knew anything” about what happened to her son or what Rhodes did to him. The Facebook post has since been deleted.

“He did this he never said anything to me about his involvement,” the Facebook post continued. “I trusted him and he betrayed me. He took my whole world from me. My son comes first before anybody!!”

Rhodes remains behind bars without bail. He’s expected to face additional charges after grabbing an officer’s gun during the arrest process. Authorities said the incident was quickly de-escalated.

Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.

[Feature Photo: Amari Nicholson/Handout]

*Editor’s Note*: The story has been updated to the correct spelling of the victim’s name.