Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein may be facing more than just industry banishment and sex addiction rehab in the wake of dozens of sexual assault allegations.
Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce reportedly said in a news conference Friday that authorities now “have an actual case” against the megaproducer, who has been accused of rape by multiple women, including actresses Annabella Sciorra and Paz de la Huerta.
“If this person was still in New York and it was recent we would go right away and make the arrest, no doubt” Boyce said, according to the New York Times.
“But we’re talking about a seven-year-old case. And we have to move forward gathering evidence.”
According to the report, the criminal case against Weinstein has accelerated in New York after de la Huerta came forward to accuse him of raping her, twice, seven years ago, while she was filming the HBO series Boardwalk Empire in New York.
Since last month’s New York Times investigative report about Weinstein’s alleged patterns of abuse and sexual assault, dozens of women, many well-known in the entertainment industry, have come forward to say they were victimized.
According to the New York Times, the Special Victims Division has been investigating de la Huerta’s claims for the past several days. It is unclear if authorities are also pursuing possible criminal charges in connection to the claims made by Sciorra, who told the New Yorker last week that Weinstein raped her in New York in the 1990s.
The report indicates that law enforcement officials are preparing at some point in the near future to arrest Weinstein, who is reportedly seeking sex addiction therapy outside of the U.S.
[Feature image: Associated Press]