Telluride high school closing

THREE Colorado schools temporarily shut down after students reportedly plan ‘Columbine-style’ massacre

A high school in Telluride, Colorado, shut down on Monday morning after authorities learned students reportedly discussed carrying out a “Columbine-style” massacre while chatting on social media.

ABC News reports that someone made a threat over Snapchat to plant explosives around Telluride High School. The suspect, a male student that attends the school, said the explosives would then be detonated on Monday, according to San Miguel County Sheriff spokesperson Susan Lilly. The suspect was taken into custody, while five additional students are currently being questioned.

“Even though this is a quiet little ski resort we’re not immune from threats like this,” Lilly told the Denver Post.

According to the Marshal’s Department, school administrators reached out to law enforcement at around 3 p.m. on Sunday after students contacted staff members and told them about alleged threats being made. At around 5 p.m., authorities found a rifle and a handgun inside the suspect’s Telluride home, and took him into custody. So far, explosives have been found.

Two additional schools closed in order to ensure the safety of other students in the area, including Telluride Elementary School and Telluride Middle School. According to FOX Denver, classes resumed for all schools on Tuesday.

Authorities reported that the author of the first threat made online referenced a “Columbine-style” incident, in reference to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Columbine, Colorado, that left numerous students dead. The shooters, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, killed one teacher and 12 students before turning the guns on themselves while still at the school.

The story is developing. Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

[Feature Photo: Telluride Marshal’s Dept.]