Mariah Woods AMBER Alert

‘When the time comes, it will be put out’: Sheriff says toddler Mariah Woods case is far from over

While North Carolina authorities have one man behind bars in connection with the death of toddler Mariah Woods, an Onslow County sheriff said that the case is not over and that authorities continue to investigate and put together the pieces.

“We only have one chance to get it right,”Onslow County sheriff Hans Miller  told ABC12. “When the time comes, it will be put out.”

Although the sheriff insinuated that more things are forthcoming, he didn’t relay specifics as the investigation is still ongoing.

“This investigation is by no means over with. There’s so many things that need to be followed.”

Mariah was only 3 when authorities found her lifeless body in a creek in Pender County, not far from the home Mariah shared with her mother, Kristy Woods, and Kristy’s live-in boyfriend, Earl Kimrey, in Jacksonville, NC. Kristy Woods reported her daughter missing on Nov. 27, 2017, and made an emotional plea for her return after she said she put the toddler to bed the night before, then woke up to find her missing.

RELATED Reading: Remains of deceased toddler officially identified as Mariah Woods

On Dec. 3, authorities found Mariah deceased, but had already arrested Kimrey for concealing her death after piecing together information. Police also slapped him with charges with obstruction of justice, second-degree burglary, felony larceny, and possession of stolen property. He’s behind bars awaiting his next court trial, scheduled for April 2.

Earl Kimrey
Earl Kimrey/Mariah Woods [Police Handout/Family Handout]
The autopsy results for the toddler are still pending, and District Attorney Ernie Lee said that there’s no timeline in which the results will be available.

Meanwhile, Kristy Woods hasn’t been charged with anything related to the little girl’s death.

The story continues. Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

[Feature Photo: Mariah Woods/Handout]